This is not the time to pull away and neglect meeting together, as some have formed the habit of doing. In fact, we should come together even more frequently, eager to encourage and urge each other onward as we anticipate that day dawning.
Hebrews 10:25 TPT
I know that alot has been said about this in the last few months especially with many churches being shut during this time but I do believe that as Christians we should gather together in fellowship.
And why is that? Because the Word of God tells us this over and over again.
I don’t believe that we were meant to walk alone in our journey of salvation. And I was pondering on this, I was reminded that even Jesus was always surrounded his disciples. He NEVER did ministry alone even though He could have. Why is that so? Its definitely something to ponder on.
It’s also interesting to note that over the course of His 3 year ministry, Jesus also regularly went to the Temple and taught there which tells me that even now there is a place for regular fellowship with the brethren.
Why didn’t you arrest me in the Temple? I was there every day. But this is your moment, the time when the power of darkness reigns.”
Luke 22:53 NLT
Now I know that some would say that this was in the old covenant before His death but we see that even after his death and resurrection the Apostles (including Apostle Paul) went to the Temple and taught. This indicates to me that gathering together is important.
As was Paul’s custom, he went to the synagogue service, and for three Sabbaths in a row he used the Scriptures to reason with the people.
Acts of the Apostles 17:2 NLT
Why is the gathering of the brethren important?
- The agreement of the prayers of the saints is powerful. And yes, private prayer is still very necessary. But so is corporate prayer.
- To encourage each other. When the salvation walk gets tough, its nice to have someone to encourage you to keep holding on. We also encourage each other through testimonies of what the Lor has done for us.
- For fellowship. Through fellowship we develop relationships and friendships that are lifelong and crucial for our spiritual growth.
- For praise and worship.
- To grow in the Kingdom of God. One thing I love about gathering together is that the person teaching will receive a revelation that is totally different from the revelation that I may have gotten.
- Because God says so. There’s a reason that He instructs us to gather.
Can we do all these activities at home? Absolutely! And we should. But there is also a place for fellowship.
It is dangerous to walk alone
During this time I have realized that it is dangerous to walk alone. We all need to be accountable to one another otherwise it is easy to backslide or fall into sin. It s also important to be submitted to a spiritual authority.
Do not walk alone. Remember that Jesus also sent out the disciples 2 by 2. Therefore we were never meant to walk alone.Do not walk alone.
Lastly, I don’t know about the rest of you but I have really missed gathering in church and the cell groups and I have realized that they are necessary. Even with the technology that enables us to keep in touch it just isn’t the same.
My prayer is that this ends soon so that we are able to congregate once more.
I want us to