This last Sunday we got to celebrate Father’s day and as I celebrated by earthly father, I got the opportunity to reflect on God as a Father. I know that going through life, we can lose sight of this fact so I chose to base this post on the Love of the Father.
An Everlasting Love
A few months ago, I had an experience that forever changed how I view my relationship with God as my dad. It was about 2/3 a.m. in the morning and I had just awakened from a deep slumber when I heard a voice clearly say to me, “I have loved you with an everlasting love.” I later found out that this phrase is in the Bible, specifically Jeremiah 31:3
The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying:
Another time, He said to me, “Good job,” and one of my favorite ones, “You are the apple of my eye.”
That is God in His nature as a father. He loves us so much, He sees us as children who need affirmation, direction and encouragement.
As we go through life, sometimes we feel like we’re in this alone. But today, I want to remind you to be:
Strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” – Deuteronomy 31:6 New International Version (NIV)
So as I was spending time with Him on Sunday, I was reminded the love of a father, who is truly concerned about me. Everything to do with me is His business. And my week kicked off on a high note, nothing has shaken my confidence this week despite the many challenges (and they are many!) that I’ve encountered because I know that my father is taking care of my business.
His love is so rich guys! It’s unlike anything I have ever known.
There is something about a father affirming His children, it instills confidence in you that you are on the right track. That He will be there to cheer you on, that when you are struggling He will be there to help you, to pull you out of messy situations.
Let me tell you how knowing that I am loved by God has changed my life:
- I’m more confident in myself because I know He who is watching over me will never let me be ashamed.
- I no longer seek the affirmation of men/women because the only approval I need is God’s.
- My relationship with my earthly father improved!
- I learnt to communicate with Him about everything. I literally tell Him everything.
- I am learning how to love others, especially the ones who are difficult to love.
- Because God is a father, I am assured that He will provide for me and protect me from harm.
- He also leads me, in every area of my life, because that’s what fathers do. They see you veering off a path and they lovingly pull you back on the right track.
- He also taught me that I do not have to settle for relationships where I am not valued and that I don’t have to change anything about me to be loved.
It’s a relationship
However, it is a relationship. Just like any other relationship, it takes spending time together for it to be strengthened. . It’s often said that humans make room for what’s important in their lives. Is God important to you? If He is, then make room in your heart and life for Him.
So today, I want to challenge you to begin to spend time with Father God like you would with those you love. Set aside at 30 minutes, either at the beginning of your day or at the end of it, to spend with Him Talk to Him, ask Him questions, tell Him how much you love Him and listen to Him because He does speak. Include Him In your decisions, ask for His advice. He longs for time with you as His child. Get to know His heart. He wants you to let Him into your affairs. He wants to be the one you turn to when you just want a hug or to cry. He wants you to tell Him you fears, hopes and dreams.
It doesn’t matter if you have had a strained relationship with your earthly father, or didn’t know Him at all. God wants to fill that void in your life. This is to encourage you all to get to know your Father, He’s waiting for you!