Have you found yourself questioning who you are, your likes, dislikes, are you unsure of yourself? Do you struggle with depression, anxiety and worry?. Do you find yourself saying things like “I don’t even know myself anymore”. Have you allowed the labels that people have placed on you (e.g. you’ll never amount to anything, you’re not good enough, you’re stupid) to rob you of your identity. Are the voices in your head telling you that you can’t do it, that you’re hopeless? Do you jump from one relationship to another because you can not imagine being single? Are you constantly worried about other people’s opinions towards you?
These are all good examples of a person undergoing identity crisis. Other examples of identity crisis are when you place your worth in your physical appearance, money, social status, relationships,family, the number of social media followers that you have, your education, your neighborhood and your various material possessions.
Loss of identity in Christ simply means that one has taken their eyes off Jesus Christ and has allowed various things/situations/people to validate or define them.
Finding My Identity In Christ
Personally, I struggled with this question for a while after I gave my life to Christ. I kept hearing this term a lot at church, my friends would talk about this and I just didn’t get it. I assumed that going to church, praying and reading the word was enough. But as I prayed and meditated, this is what the Holy Spirit taught me about this topic.
He showed me that I had gotten caught up in a lot of situations which had removed Jesus as my sole focus and that I would never reach purpose as long as I did not know who I am . He taught me that the only affirmation I require comes from Him because I am His child. He taught me that I am loved, I do not need to be perfect to be accepted by Him, I just need to come as I am and that His strength is made perfect in my weaknesses (2 Corinthians 12:9).
As I began to accept this new found truth I began to find joy and peace of mind like never before. I could now rest and not have to worry because He has already worked everything out for me. It is the most amazing feeling knowing that no matter what, I am not alone . He began to show me who I am in every single aspects of my life, He pruned people out of my life and brought other destiny helpers.
Biblical Teaching on Our Identity in Christ
The Bible has this to say about our identity in Christ as spoken in Ephesians 1 NLT which is appropriately titled Redemption(to get or win back) in Christ. As a result of knowing our identity in Jesus Christ:
- We are blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. (Ephesians 1:3). Yes, we are blessed, so why do we walk in defeat? We have authority on earth through Jesus. Romans 8:19 says that “for all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are.” How awesome is that!
- Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes (Vs. 4). He knew you before you were formed and He cares for you (Jeremiah 1:5). God loves all of us dearly, we only have to allow Him to shower us with love and His tender mercies.
- Through Jesus God has adopted us into his own family and has brought us to himself (Vs. 5). John 3:16-17 best explains this, “He gave His only son so that through Him, we are saved and not condemned.” Through salvation, we belong to the family of God.
- He has made us accepted in the Beloved (vs. 6). We are loved and accepted into the kingdom of God. Through the blood of Jesus, God welcomes us into His presence.
- We have received redemption through the blood of Jesus, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence (Vs.7-8). God is a merciful God, who on forgiving our transgressions does not remember our sin. I struggled with this for long especially since I came from the Catholic Church that teaches that you must be good in order to earn the grace of God which is completely false. Through the blood of Jesus we are sanctified, justified and redeemed. That is how powerful the blood of Jesus is.
- He has revealed to us the mystery of His will regarding Jesus fulfilling His plan. God has chosen to reveal to us that He will bring everything in heaven and on earth under the authority of Christ (Vs 9-10). Our heavenly Father has given Jesus all authority in heaven and on earth (Matthew 28:18) and this must be fulfilled.
- We have obtained an inheritance through Jesus (Vs. 11). By placing our faith in Jesus, we will receive eternal salvation. This means that everything that we say and do has to be in Him in order for us to receive our inheritance. John 14:6 says that I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
The Lord wants all of us to know your identity in Christ because when you do, you can do amazing and powerful stuff here on earth. Even Satan knows this and that’s why he has ensured that he has shifted our attention to various things (depression, addictions, anger, unforgiveness and other offenses etc). He does this because when you know who you are in Christ, nothing can come against you and even when you go through unpleasant situations you are able to proclaim the Word of God over your life and declare that everything that exalts itself against the knowledge of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5) must bow in the name of Jesus.
He wants to heal you and make you whole (He For came so that we may have life in abundance <John 10:10>), He wants to give you back your identity and restore all the years you have lost. He says that you are the apple of His eye, so child of God believe it.
Thanks for stopping by!